Sunday, December 2

First Class in the Third World

As promised another train story. This is an excerpt from the old fashioned pencil and notebook journal I kept of our experiences. This particular selection was penned right after my adventure to capture the essence and emotion.

20-XI-07 Bolivia – November 2007

On the train ride from Oruro to Uyuni the need arose to use the bathroom. Before the trip began they showed a video in the cabin about the ride, safety regulations and the facilities available. They especially requested that proper use of all equipment be observed. The actress demonstrated what this proper use was in actuality. While demonstrating the use of the lavatory she smiled as she squeezed some soap from the dispenser and washed her hands in the tiny sink. Everything seemed so modern and pleasant.

I was so excited to go to the fancy dining car they had showed. I thought it was going to be so cool to walk between the cars by opening and shutting the doors. I just wanted to do it all – including using the bathroom. My moment had arrived.

So I found my way to the middle of our car where the fancy restroom was and opened the latch. Immediately I noticed two things. First it is significantly cooler in the w/c than in my nicely heated executive cabin. Next, the clickety-clack of the train track was much louder in the toilette (as the door indicated that this room was). Following theses first two observations I was sure I felt a breeze. Yes, there was cold air blowing on me – from below! I slowly peered over the edges of the metallic toilet seat only to discover that this was nothing more than a glorified squatty potty! A hole in the floor of the train with a filthy tube providing a great view of the tracks passing below. But, when you gotta go you gotta go. So I did my business. It was so cold! But I haven’t stopped grinning since. It was fun.

(For a similar type of story click here)

As an after note… I think I now know why the cute little Bolivian model on the video was smiling. She was probably thinking, “You’ve got to be kidding!” Well, I followed her lead to the letter; I was smiling the whole time I was scrubbing my hands in the diminutive basin. Oh, and this is the very best and most luxurious way to travel to Uyuni. I know because not even 10 seats up from me was seated the new United States ambassador to Bolivia and all his body guards with the twisty plastic tubing coming out of their ears.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I like that you smiled when you washed your hands. Funny stuff.

Annie said...

Too funny! It made me smile too. :D

danielle said...

thats hilarious. i laughed out loud - thanks for sharing this! :)

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh- which is always a good thing :) I love the "fancy" squatty potty!!

PS- your book was FINALLY mailed today... sorry it took so long :)

Rebecca Gomez said...

Ha ha! Great images, Ang! Had to laugh. I have been on a train ride before, but I wasn't lucky enough to have such a great view of the tracks below. Funny stuff. :-)

laura said...

Oh my goodness I can just see your sweet face smiling... laughing in the face of adversity :) I sure do miss your spirit and constant reminder of what it is to be joyful, you my friend are full of the joy of the Spirit! God bless you and can't wait to hear this story retold face to face :)