Monday, December 17

The True Tango


My youngest son loves to dance. It puts a smile on your face to see him move to the rhythm of the music seeing as he is only 15 months old. Last night he found my CD of tango music so we listened to it. He was dancing all over the room while my fingers danced on the keyboard typing an entry for Existencia Compartida. It is my Spanish blog. It was quite inspirational typing in Spanish to Latin music. The post seemed like something that my English readers might enjoy as well.

As we listened it reminded me of our tenth wedding anniversary last year. We made an unforgettable trip to the infamous birthplace of the tango: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Tiny Tyler was with us due to the fact that he was still nursing. Perhaps he loves to dance because of this early exposure to music in that foreign country. Who knows? Could be.

On the streets of Buenos Aires there are tango demonstrations. The street shows require a team of three. There is the beautiful woman with her face all done up. Then there is the man who exists simply to accentuate the beautiful movements of the woman. There is also a sound man who walks around in the crowd hat in hand to collect the coins of the onlookers who have formed a sort of stage by encircling the dancers. These dance troupes must do well because they are on every corner of the wide pedestrian walkways.

Whenever we stopped to watch a couple dance, without fail one or two citizens would whisper in our ears with a sour face and a venomous tone something like, “This is not true tango!”

How could they tell this was not the tango? I was fascinated seeing them move to the rhythm of the music. One thing is certain, I cannot move like they do. But tonight as I watched my son I realized how they could feel so strongly. It is because they have experienced the true tango. They have seen it; maybe even danced it. They can make an authoritative comparison.

It made me think about the people who watch us Christians. What are they experiencing? Are they seeing some people go through the motions to collect a few coins and some weak applause? (Which are nothing more than superficial samples of love.) Or are they seeing authentic and true Christians? Can it be that Somebody is whispering in their ears, “They are not true Christians”?

The word of God gives us ways to prove the authenticity of a Christian. One of these is found in John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” I believe that if we would truly demonstrate the love of God to others then people would be able to distinguish authentic Christians. They are going to be fascinated when they see us moving together to the rhythms of the grace of God. And they are going to admire what a life can be with God.

Now, there are people doing all the right things with the wrong motives. It says in Colossians 3:23-24 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Some think, “I am going to do the minimum that God requires of me just so that I can secure my place in Heaven, but do not ask anything more of me.” With a mentality like that you are simply putting on a superficial street show to earn a couple coins. But, in the same way that I believe the street dancers (if they wanted to) could dance the “true tango” so that the citizens of their city would respect them I believe that you and I can allow the love of God to flow through us in such a way that as we love others we are demonstrating true Christianity and we become an authentic expression of love to this generation.

Shall we dance?

4 comments:

danielle said...

good thoughts.

Anonymous said...

great analogy.

Annie said...

This is really good! These analogies are all around us in life - I run into the same truth with healthy eating. I find that if a person has ever eaten healthy in their life, they can easily tell the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. However, if they've always eaten unhealthy, they cannot tell the difference. I do love this truth.

Annie said...

Aww, Angie, your comment really blessed me! Thanks for commenting!