Monday, October 29

American Days

A friend found me on Yahoo chat today to ask me if we could go out for dinner together this week. I explained my lack of a vital component to the success of such an excursion: house help. She said, “Ah, so you are an American Mom this week.”

I have felt so very American these last few days. I am so glad I have a comprehensive husband who is pitching in and helping with the kids. He even did the grocery shopping and picked up something for dinner while he was out. Then when he got back he said, “Why don’t you go to the gym?” He knows that is something I enjoy doing (very nice after a full day of home schooling and caring for a teething toddler). When I got back he and my son were finishing up on the mountain of dishes.

Some missionaries who live up the street asked me to watch their three young children for them the other day while they finished up packing for a three month furlough. So that even our family’s social activities had an American flavor, with a hint of Spanglish to spice things up of course. Have you ever watched Snow White in Spanish? Early Sunday morning I helped them get to the airport. We said Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year before hugs and farewell. I miss them! We are car-sitting for them while they are gone. (Thank you so much guys!!!) So I even feel more American in “my” truck / SUV with my kids all strapped down in the back. We are in the process of raising funds for our own car, so this is just whetting my appetite even more. Driving is one of my most favorite things to do.



I will just end by saying first Go Red Sox, second my heart goes out to the Californians devestated by fires and finally please enjoy some seasonal Peeps for me (those crunchy marshmallow treats are the best).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed the randomness of this post...

danielle said...

what a week. So american :) enjoy the car.