Friday, March 28

Re-birthday

Twenty-three years ago today a smiley eight-year-old girl searched for her children’s bible a notebook and a pencil. Upon arriving at church for the service with a special guest speaker she ran over to where her cousin, who was also her best friend, was seated. As the sermon commenced the girl would start to write down the things the preacher said that she thought were important. Not being able to write as fast as her companion, who was older by one year, she nudged with her elbow and whispered for her to write it down.

The message seemed to end quickly and the man up front posed a sincere and penetrating question: do you need something from Jesus? He explained that he wanted to pray with those who felt they had needs and invited them forward. The girls looked at each other and without a word headed down front. The man approached and asked the girls what they needed from Jesus. Both responded with confidence their need to be saved. He prayed with them. As the eight-year-old repeated those simple words she knew for sure that she was saved. Though the words have long been forgotten the truth of eternal salvation that was planted in her heart that day has never once been lost.

This is my story. The little eight-year-old girl was me March 28, 1985.

With clear understanding that the word always should be used sparingly I am going to use it today. I have always known the love of God in my life. From the first caresses of my mothers hand on my cheek until this day that I was wiping tears from my son’s face there has been a real presence of my Heavenly Father’s love with me. For this I am grateful.

Not once have I doubted, questioned, wandered away from or rebelled against the message of the gospel. Assurance, confidence and faithfulness have been the marks of my life with Christ. His truth is real to me. For this I am grateful.

Since the moment I first laid eyes on these words as a teenager they have been my own.

“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry” (1 Timothy 1:12)

If you haven’t done so then you need to give your life to Christ. God loves you. Jesus paid the price for our salvation with his own life. He rose from the dead with the power to forgive you of the sin separating you from God. Tell him today that you believe and ask him for his help. He will hear you and give you the gift of eternal life. Let me know if you do decide to dedicate your life to Jesus so that I can congratulate you for making the best decision ever.

What wonderful gift from the Lord are you celebrating today?

9 comments:

danielle said...

Today is also the day two of our good friends got saved four years ago.

I'm also celebrating my family...but that's everday.

Angie Washington said...

I think it is great that you celebrate your family everyday. :-)

The Holmans In Bolivia said...

Yea!! I'm so glad that 23 years ago God drew you to Himself. That day you made a commitment to follow Him and haven't stopped yet. What a testimony of the power of God in your life! Keep on following!! I'm rejoicing with you. You are a light shining for Him here in Bolivia. I'm so glad He lit you that day. :>)

Angie Washington said...

Thank you so much Denise. :-)

Anonymous said...

so great to hear your story! God's clearly had His hand on you "for such a time as this".

Angie Washington said...

Thank you Alece. :-) It is nice to have you back in blog-land.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad to be back! i've felt so disconnected!

Anonymous said...

loved hearing this part of your story- and what an awesome testimony of the years that followed!!

Today- I am especially thankful for life... current and coming.

Angie Washington said...

Amy - amen. life is absolutely something we must be thankful for.

glad to have you back in blog land.
:o)
You were missed.