Thursday, May 1

May Day

Today in Bolivia we are observing Labor Day. This term seems to be an oxymoron seeing as it is observed by everyone taking the day off from work (except for the market workers, they are so industrious). Yet we are glad to give our team a day off. They work very hard and we are appreciative of them. Of course, my husband, the team leader, is glad to have the office all to him self to work. I must commend him, though, for sleeping in until 7:30 today. This is something he hasn’t done in a long while. I was actually up before him which is a rare occurrence indeed.

My day will include work as well. Aside from the usual laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, baby care, and food sanitization of groceries bought right before closing time at the store last night I have some fun things going on. An extra home school class taught by one of our friends: Spanish. As well as art this afternoon with our missionary / neighbor / church member / fellow home school family. After art the kids have a birthday party to go to at the bowling alley. Then we have church tonight. I enjoyed teaching while DaRonn (my husband the pastor) was gone, but I am so glad that he is back to share this evening.

The art project for today is shrinky-dinks. I tossed around the idea of making May baskets. I have some great childhood memories of May Day sneaking up to the neighbors’ houses, ringing the door bell and then running away to hide behind a bush to watch them discover their surprise treat. But, since that is not a tradition here and I have been saving styrofoam trays for weeks the anticipation has got the better of me. Here are the instructions for the project on line if you are interested: http://kidscrafts.suite101.com/article.cfm/make_your_own_shrinky_dinks

What childhood memories does this season invoke for you?

8 comments:

Annie said...

I never had any "May Day" fun! It was not a day we celebrated ... what is it celebrated for? Your shrinky-dinks sound fun - never heard of them before, either. (learning experience!) Thus ... no seasonal memories that I can call to mind. Random fun May things - strawberry picking, the most beautiful weather of the year, doors and windows flung wide open, LOTS of fresh air and sunshine. :D Mmmmmm.... these are great things about May.

Jana said...

Sounds like a big day! How did the Spanish class go? Don't you just love the language?

Anonymous said...

Last year was the first time I had ever heard of May day... I was so caught off guard by the basket of goodies left on our front porch- and when I told some friends about it they said, "somebody left you a May Day basket!" I was like... what?!

Your day sounds incredibly full, but fulfilling full- enjoy it!!

Mrs. Jackie Sue said...

It must be what we're doing here too. It's like half the things are close and half aren't. I can't keep up with all the days off they have - though i do very much know May 10 is mother's day - it's the same date every year. Not like the states where it's the second sunday. Anyway Happy Natl Day of Prayer and May Day!

*HUGS*
Jackie
from home school loungs

Angie Washington said...

Annie - come to find out that my husband didn't know what May Day was about either. And Amy just found out last year. Interesting. Here is a link to the wikipedia rundown about the day:

May Day

I don't exactly know what we were celebrating.I just know we made fun baskets and secretly left them on doorsteps. :-)

Angie Washington said...

Jana - Thank for stopping by. :-)

The class went great. The gal who is working with the kids wanted to find out what level they were at so she knew where to start. I wanted her to tutor them in reading Spanish - mostly. My oldest is doing 4th grade material and after her comes my son who is doing 3rd grade stuff. She told me that she was impressed that both of them were already reading Spanish at a 2nd grade level. I was happy to hear that. She is doing more basic things with my 6 year old. But they are enjoying it, so I am happy with that. The Bolivian people tell me that they have no accent. I am so proud of them.

Yes, I truly do love Spanish. Sometimes I find myself wanting to use Spanish to express what I want to communicate because it seems to be richer.

Hope your day is going well.

Come back soon. :-)

Angie Washington said...

Jackie - Thanks for dropping in.
:-)

The Bolivian mother's day is May 27th - it doesn't move around either. I lose track of all the days off too.

Hugs to you as well.

Anonymous said...

i've never done may day either.

but i used to love shrinky dinks!