Wednesday, January 17

"Lost in Bolivia" (as opposed to oblivion)

Recent requests have come my way to encourage me to write an entry about our coming to Bolivia. Through the wonders of modern day technology I have been reunited with some people that I lost touch with some 10 years ago. One of them asked me, “So what were you doing the 5 years from the time you got married to when you moved to Bolivia?” One fellow blogger asked, “What are you doing in Bolivia??” Note: extra interrogative. Sometimes I ask myself the very same thing, “What am I doing in Bolivia??” Then I shake myself and say, “Oh yeah! Living in a dream! That is right. How could I have forgotten?”

I am going to try to keep this quick and to the point – but no promises.

Even before I dedicated my life to the Lord at the tender age of eight years old I knew that I was destined for the world. Through the years the Lord shaped my desire to travel to distant lands into a clear call to the work of a missionary. All through high school I papered my walls with maps of the nations of the world. Ever praying and ever waiting for God to reveal to me where He wanted me to go.

Not being one to sit on my tush, the first chance I got I was outside of US borders tromping around on the foreign soil of Australia. I was infected! My blood coursed with the incurable passion for travel. After that I made a few quick jumps to Botswana (Africa) and Costa Rica.

At the age of 15 my husband-to-be had a similar life changing experience during which he also felt strongly that God’s plan for his life would lead him to distant shores. We met at church. Upon discovering that we both had a desire to be missionaries we became fast friends. Married during his sophomore year in college he dedicated himself to study and breadwinning while I diligently worked to make a home for us.

A frequent topic of prayer and discussion was our mission career. Where would we go? When would we go? What would we do? What about funding? What about our kids? How would we get trained? At very sure and distinct times we felt that we were called to go to: Russia, India, somewhere in Africa and Sweden. You know the old saying, “Unless a boat is moving the rudder can never work.” We did our best to get ourselves moving and trusted that the Holy Spirit would be a sturdy rudder for us.

As a funny side note I clearly told the Lord, and not just once but repeatedly, “I know that you are not going to send me to South America. South America has enough missionaries as it is. Please, don’t send me to South America.”

Much to our dismay the first place that He called us to did not require a passport but rather scholarships, financial aid, grants and applications out the wazoo. DaRonn felt strongly that the Lord promised to put him ahead by 10 years when he finally did make it to the mission field if he would first acquire a degree in business. Amazingly he did graduate with that degree in 5 years; all the while he held a full time and part time job, steadily volunteered in the church, was a loving husband and a superb father.

In the middle of his schooling we were called to step out, but once again this was not half way around the world but just 2 hours south of our hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. We moved to Saint Joseph, Missouri for the SOLE purpose of hooking into Word of Life Church. There we grew in faith. The truths we learned (and continue to learn because they have live streaming of their services, very cool!) are part of our core and inner fortitude that drive us to greater heights and pull us through when times are not so easy. Pastors Brain and Peri Zahnd do not get thanked enough for the good that they do! Thank you both.

As DaRonn was sitting in a geology class learning about rocks the teacher put in a video that talked about Bolivia. When the faces of the people flashed across the screen the fire of God began to burn in his heart and he felt so strongly the Lord impressing upon him, “That is the nation that you are going to start in.” I still remember the excitement in his voice as he confidently and with such joyful anticipation declared to me the same words that he heard the Lord speak to him.

Yet, we were not released to go to Bolivia at that very moment! Oh no, training comes first. To Tulsa we headed! The good thing was that we were a little closer because Tulsa is South of Saint Joe.

We spent almost 2 years at Pastors Billy Joe and Sharon Daugherty’s Victory Christian Center Church and their World Mission Training Center. Hearing great missionaries like T.L. Osborne, Mike Francen, Bill and Trish Turkovich, Hal and Lisa Boehm, Greg and Kim Ford, Ron and Jill Stafford plus many other powerful ministers of God prepared us for what was ahead. We were able to put on paper the when, what, how, and some of the why discovered in prayer and the Word because of the training that we received there.

Finally we were equipped with the call and the practical know how to fulfill that awesome task and we were packing our bags for Bolivia. We bought one way tickets intending to make the new nation our home. Oh, the stories that I could tell! God bless us!

So that was in 2001. We have been here now 5 years. All the glory to God! We really have seen supernatural velocity in the establishment of the works down here. There have been over 60 bible schools started in Bolivia and the surrounding nations. We have produced 7 books. Many groups and individuals have come to minister. We have had intern missionaries work along side us. We are pastors of a church of more that 100 members. Various churches and individuals in the States partner financially and prayerfully with the work. Our most recent work has been to establish an orphanage for children ages five and under with a capacity of 42; currently there are 19 little ones under our care. We have a staff of paid employees and volunteers that run all that goes on. As I stated before we are deeply and gratefully indebted to our Heavenly Father for enabling and allowing us to do what we do.

Aside from the missionary work that I do (teaching, helping pastor and writing) we have now been married 10 years and have 4 great kids. I am currently home-schooling 3 grades and caring for my sweet baby boy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so wonderful to hear about your journey! and what a journey it has been! exciting to see what God's been up to in your life all these years.

by the way, i got your tag! still trying to figure out what "weirdnesses" to share!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for filling in all these years Angie!- What an exciting time it has been!!!

danielle said...

good story, friend. wasn't tulsa wonderful? we miss those teachers and are so thankful for the time we spent there. i see so much alike in our stories, but you know that already! love you.

Rebecca Gomez said...

Reading this made me miss you more!