Friday, February 1

It’s Not Nothing

“Even the ones that know about God are doing it,” my surprised daughter exclaims.

“Maybe they are not doing it; maybe they are just watching,” hoping beyond all hope the older one attempts to console.

Standing at the window my children observed the rituals being played out below. Sights of dancing, costumes and heavy drinking filled their eyes. Loud music pumped through huge speakers thudded in our chests and rattled the glass.

Wait for it, wait for it. Dread of all dreads the inevitable question sits in the air after the child looks over her shoulder with a worried look on her face and asks, “Is it bad mom?”

Too angry, ashamed and annoyed by these customs to respond I didn’t answer.

The fact that they are differentiating between the choices of their friends to come to church one Sunday and then participate in the ritualistic observance of Carnaval the same week shows me their value system is being shaped. My kids seeing pagan practices first hand does not bother me. Maybe it should; but I am pretty sure that the inundation with the things of God that we provide sets a very clear standard before them of what we believe.

Culture is the physical expression of the values of a people group. Just as money does not have good or bad qualities culture cannot be classified as a good or bad thing. It is a tool that society employs. The uses of tools like money, a hammer, the internet and culture can and are brought into question as to the positive or negative effects that they have on people.

So we can look at the practice of throwing water balloons at anyone and everyone. Is it bad? We have to consider the effects. Then we can look at the two days of continual dancing and drinking. The effects that this has on people should be considered. Then we look at La K’oa (or Q’owa). This is the burning of trinkets made of paper and sugar along with certain plants and dried animal fetuses every first Friday and especially during the festivals of Carnaval said to bring the blessing of the Pachamama. What effects does this practice bring to the people of Bolivia?

Marginal Christians attempt a condescending explanation of the importance of keeping the traditions of the ancestors alive. Why keep alive something that is killing the soul of the nation? That is the ironic fatality of the issue though. The people feel alive and connected to something greater than themselves when they observe the traditions. The devil subtly twists what was intended for good and disguises the captivity as freedom and independence.

Abolition of all carnavalistic observances may not be a realistic goal. A close look at the Kingdom of God shows us that we don’t work from the outside in; rather significant and lasting changes come from the inside out. My goal is to work with people close to me. This begins with guarding my own heart. Then I have my own children and the children of the orphanage. After that the families of the church have been placed before me. Beyond that our influence extends through media.

Shaping the culture of their hearts is where I must focus my energy.

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matthew 5:14-16 (NLT)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Through out all recorded history, partying, reveling and having fun with music and alcohol have resulted in a few deaths. Very few when compared to the scores, nay legions of dead due to religion, religious wars, religious intolerance and religious hatred. I am sorry you need to "guard your heart" to protect it from all things pagan. We pagans are a gentle, musical and celebratory folk who mean you and your co-religionists no harm. Wish I could say the same about your crowd.

Anonymous said...

I think you've got this in good perspective... and I agree that focusing on your kiddos is of utmost importance. How cool that they are really learning deeper truths!

Anonymous said...

the fact that your kids were saying what they did tells me you're doing something right with them. (many things right with them.)

as missionaries, we're not cultural imperialists. we're not all about changing the culture or westernizing/americanizing the country we're in. however, when culture contradicts God's Word, we have an obligation, a responsibility, to address it. as Christians in any culture, we always have a choice to make when our culture goes against God's ways. one of the two must bow its knee... will our adherence to our culture bow to Christ, or will we make Him "bow" to our culture? that is the crossroad we should bring the Believers we're discipling to...

Anonymous said...

so keep on keeping on.

(read nehemiah 6:3)

Angie Washington said...

Dear Anonymous,

Wow - while I am a bit surprised that my readership may extend farther than I thought (and for this I am grateful to you for helping me to realize) I am more surprised at the "gentle" tone by which you chose to direct yourself towards me. So by "intending me no harm" it would be nice to have a conversation with you. I would request that I might have the pleasure of knowing with whom I am speaking.

To get things started it would be good to know how it is that you seem to believe that "partying" is to be compared with equal importance and devotion to religious practices.

Annie said...

Good post, Angie. This is one major crux of all ministry work - whether in another country or at home. In fact, this issue arises every day to every person. The line is so soft - this is why listening to the Spirit moment by moment is so important. sigh. Still a huge challenge area for me.

Rebecca Gomez said...

You're right, Angie. It's not nothing.

Keep running the race.