Wednesday, April 16

Oil

So while a sweet gal from the church watches my kids and cleans the bathrooms for me this afternoon I head out to get the oil changed on the truck. Little errands like these are fun for me. Mainly because I get out of the house and see new things.

As I am driving up to the car place I see a paint store. “Perfect,” I think to myself, “Raimy needs to have some of that stuff that you rinse your brush out with when you use oil paints for an art project she wants to do.” I tell the guys at the shop everything he needs to know about the truck and head out the door. It is a beautiful day and the little walk is very nice. I passed: a couple fruit stands, a bread shop, some other oil change places, some corner markets, some car parts shops, some bicycle repair shops and a place that sells lawn sculptures. Then I come to the paint store.

The guy is helping another customer at the counter. I go up and explain to him that I need the stuff you use to wash out brushes when you are using oil based paint. This is not an art supply store, just lots of big paint buckets and big brushes around. So he gives me the normal response, “We don’t have any of that.” Knowing that was not true I explained once again. This time he said, “We don’t have that. But we do have…” And now I am going to phonetically write what he said: TEE nair.

One strategy I have developed in understanding Spanish is that sometimes the brand names and the newer technical terms keep their English spelling and are just pronounced in Spanish. So I listen to the way they say the word, picture how that would be spelled in Spanish and then read that word in my head in English. So this would be the Spanish spelling for the word he pronounced: Tiner. The letter ‘h’ is silent in Spanish. So I make the connection and understand he is referring to: thinner! He has paint thinner! Perfect for my little daughter in her first attempts at an oil painting.

So I ask how they sell it. They come in half liter or one liter. How much is the half liter? Six Bolivianos, the equivalent of about 90 cents. I’ll take it. He walks over to some large plastic jugs with screw tops down behind me. He crouches down and begins filling a personal size empty Sprite Zero bottle with thinner. He screws the lid on and hands me the bottle. I give him the money and chuckle as I walk away. I am carrying paint thinner in a half liter Sprite Zero bottle! That is just funny to me.

11 comments:

The Guthries said...

Angie,
Do you ever really get used to how your host culture does things versus your home culture? I can imagine it made you smile, walking back with your sprite bottle :-)

Carin

Annie said...

:D Great story @ngie. Yep. You'd never see that in our 'sophistimicated' United States. ;) We'd also have paid likely $5 for that same half liter of paint thinner. sigh. The money we spend on packaging.

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

It is the same way here!! How funny that two different countries so far apart could have such similarities!
Just one example, the other day I was looking for a sponge, and I asked for it in Indonesian by describing it (a thing that is squishy and helps you to wash dishes, you put soap on it). She said they didn't have any, so I kept looking, and saw some. I said in Indonesian, "oh here's what I wanted." She said in Indonesian, "oh you mean a (now in English) SPOHN-GAY" Yes, a Spohn-gay was what I wanted. :)
Blessings!
Joy

Angie Washington said...

Joy! You were able to leave a comment - yay for good internet days! :-)

Isn't language learning the best? I really have enjoyed the process. Even after six years I am still learning new words.

Blessings to you too!

Angie Washington said...

Carin - the word home is interesting. I choose to view Bolivia as my home - so I choose to adopt the culture here as much as I can. While things amuse me when I first see them I make myself take it for what it is and learn it as quickly as possible. So to answer your question: yes I do get used to the culture. For me (and this may be different for other missionaries) I would not survive if I did not adapt.

Angie Washington said...

Annie - I often think about the forced recycling that takes place here. They try to reuse as much as possible.

$5! That is like 35bs! I would never dream of paying that for some thinner. I would be like, "Dude, you have been sniffing a few too many paint fumes. Come out here for some fresh air and I am going to ask you that price again." But like you said - it is all the packaging. And it is labeled with things like danger, poison, how to use this, etc... Which are nice to know.

danielle said...

funny!

Natalie said...

All those "small" differences add up to a whole new life experience. Do you think there are any things that are different that you no longer notice because you are so used to them?

Angie Washington said...

Natalie - I know that there are things that I no longer notice... until I go to a different country. For example when we go to the States I dote on babies like they do here and the little American mommies look at me like I am crazy for goo-gooing over the bundle of flesh in the plastic carrier down by their feet. Whenever we go to the States I want to take every little baby out of those silly (and heavy) plastic carriers and put them in the arms of their mother. To me it looks odd to see children put there. And that is because we just don't do that here in Bolivia. Babies are adored, revered and cared for by the community.

I am thinking of dozens of examples now... I have to watch myself and say, "It is not better - it is just different." When I feel like I want to go to criticizing something that is not a big deal.

The Guthries said...

Angie,

Thanks for the insight. I hope to put it to use one day :-)

Carin

Anonymous said...

what a great story!