Thursday, June 5

Culture Collection

It was way back in March that I posted my first Culture Collection.

So now I am digging around in my pocket and feeling the well worn stones once again. Ah ha, I found it. Just by feeling it in my hands I know that this is the one I want to display. I pull it out and rub it a little with my thumb. It is a possession of mine. It reminds me of the possessions I want to talk about.

When you are graced with an invitation to a party here in Bolivia you can be sure that your attendance to such a momentous event will be acknowledged by a party favor. In Spanish they are called ‘recuerdos’ which can also be translated ‘memories’. For an adult party your gift will usually be given to you upon your arrival. Last night a group of ladies helped me organize the celebration of our first year of women’s ministry at church. Sure enough one of the gals had commissioned the creation of a tiny pin for each of the attendees that had a flower and a little ribbon printed with the name of our group, the date and the event. Such a nice detail! At a child’s party the favor is much more elaborate in the form of a goodie bag the size of the child’s head replete with candy, sweet breads, games, toys and all kinds of fun stuff. These bags are given to the children towards the end of the party so that there is an explosion of opening and immediate trading of the goods.

A special visit is also acknowledged with a gift. In the image you can see a very small sampling of some of the items that have been lovingly selected and presented to us during our visits around Latin America. Usually the gift is traditional of the country or includes the name of the country somewhere printed on the item. It is expected that the gift be displayed in your home and bears the name of ‘adorno’ or ‘decoration’.

Over the years this custom has become very endearing for me. When a carefully prepared gift is placed in my hands I receive it with gratitude knowing that I was remembered and that the giver is hoping that this token would create a warm memory of friendship in my heart.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really dislike nick-nacky things. i would appreciate the heart behind the gift, but would have a hard time hanging onto things like that.

it is such a sweet aspect of bolivian culture, though, i must say!

Anonymous said...

What a cool thing!

rebecca. said...

maté gourd!!!! mmmm. i might have to have some this weekend. :)

danielle said...

I enjoy learning about small details of your life and things that are dear to your heart.

Annie said...

Thanks for the lovely snapshot. I'm with Alece. It sounds like a really great, fun idea, but I'm not much of a gifts person and my thought was, "But what do you do with them?" How long are you obligated to keep them out of respect for the giver? Or are they intended to be permanent fixtures in your home? If you are a gifts person - I'm sure it makes you feel very warm and special to be thought of.

Angie Washington said...

Thumbuddy - re: I enjoy learning about small details of your life and things that are dear to your heart.

YOU are dear to my heart. :-)

Angie Washington said...

Rebecca - so did you have some of the specialty herb tea with the straw?

Angie Washington said...

Annie - I have a special place in my house for the current ones...then they get moved to a keepsake cupboard. They are usually pretty small and can be easily stored. They don't have to be permanent fixtures. It is fun though. :-)