Monday, June 16

Fashion Statement

Arriving fashionably late is the Bolivian lady’s permanent accessory draped haphazardly across heaving shoulders as she enters rushed, appearing as though it was simply unavoidable. The charming smile and friendly kiss on the cheek is penance enough to pardon any tardiness. Be it a tea, a party or a wedding, unimportant is the nature of the event, inevitably there are some that will show up late. Punctuality is simply defined as presence. Though they dwindle in upon commencement you can be assured that the departure is a corporate event. Not five minutes will separate the moment when the first woman rises to take her leave until you have kissed the final fair maiden farewell.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Huh! I knew that Latin American cultures viewed the 'start' of an event as a very fluid notion, but I didn't know they all left all at once! Again, a lovely look at the Bolivian culture. :)

Anonymous said...

craziness! do you ever feel that you are used to your new culture?

Angie Washington said...

Annie - Yep, many a party I have pooped on because I wanted to leave a bit early and sure enough everyone followed my lead. I try not to do it if I can remember. I let someone else say the magical word, "Vámonos?"

Angie Washington said...

Danielle - I read your word 'craziness' and I was thinking, "What's crazy?" Seriously. Then I remembered, oh, well, I guess this would seem crazy to someone who doesn't live here. Now, what would get me to say 'craziness' would be if everyone were to show up on time. :-) That would be wild!

Yes, I often feel that I am used to my new culture.
And, no, there are days when I feel like a fish out of water.
But for the most part I do not feel uncomfortable.
That is a hard question. :-)

Anonymous said...

you really seem to have adapted so well. it's inspiring.

Angie Washington said...

Alece - Inspirational? Wow!Thank you, friend. That made me smile huge. :-D