Wednesday, June 18

Revolving Door

A person’s first encounter with a revolving door can be a humorous event. First they just stand there and watch in wonder as a few people go through unharmed. Then they try a few false starts. Soon they get in, but it seems that they can’t quite figure out how to get out, especially if they are maneuvering a bag. They get up the guts to step out and they are right back where they started from. Sometimes a kind soul will try to coach and give pointers. Eventually the stressful experience is over and the person has made it through the crazy door.

My life feels like a revolving door. I am constantly saying good-bye or hello to somebody. Some people I am coaxing along and happy to see they make it through to the other side, proud of their growth and accomplishments. Others I want to hold on to and say just watch with me here for a bit more; but I know that they need to move on. Others I welcome in from the other side. At times their presence is surprisingly refreshing. At times I am challenged and grow because they are with me. Some people that I have waved good-bye to have later come back through the door and my heart is warmed. Others come through the door back into my life after years of silent absence, and I am enriched. Some come rushing through and leave so quickly, yet I am changed because they were with me even for that short time. The emotions attached with these arrivals and departures are most usually strong and have an enormous range of variety.


I am full aware that I am also, at times, the one leaving and arriving. It is overwhelming to consider how my comings and goings affect other people. Some times I long to go through the door and be with people I love; yet I am compelled to stay. I would like to say that I have embraced this aspect of my life. But I must say that I am still trying to figure it out. Maybe I am the one stuck in the door.


What kind of door would you use to describe your life and why?

5 comments:

Annie said...

Yeah - one of my favorite things about heaven. No goodbyes. Ever. :D

Anonymous said...

Really nice picture of our friendships with others.
I'm not sure which door I'd use to describe my life, but I relate to what you said about some friendships being fleeting and others lasting, and the way that God uses each one to bring blessing.

laura said...

I'm thankful that you and your friendship have come through the door in Cochabamba and across my path, I hope you stay for a long time :)

Angie Washington said...

Laura - my friend! I too an grateful that we have found each other, that we may walk together on this leg of our journey.

Anonymous said...

i've often described my life as a revolving door as well...