Saturday, June 7

Funny Fruit - Kaqui

On the corner near our house was a small stand under a colorful umbrella. Grabbing the plastic woven bag that my house help usually used to do the market shopping I took a deep breath and announced my departure. Not quite ready to leave my baby with the help I maneuvered the stroller over the pavement that was losing a futile battle with the roots of the ancient trees. The whole bumpy ride my baby gooed and gaaed while I rehearsed the few Spanish words I knew to prepare for my first produce purchases.

The people running the stand were taken by the baby, leaving me time to take in just what they had for sale. Vivid colors mixed with the fresh fruity fragrance wafting from the oversized baskets lent to a euphoric confidence bolstered by the giggles shared by my child and the venders. Over-pointing abounded but was quickly forgiven when I attempted speaking to them with my limited vocabulary being sure to smile real big. I purchased bananas, kiwis, apples, papaya, watermelon and tomatoes. That was all that would fit into the carrier under the stroller. The papaya was the only exotic thing I bought, or so I thought.

I made the proper leaving remarks and trotted home that cloudy morning. I was so proud of myself for this accomplishment. We began washing the fruit and my help made a comment about how much she loved this fruit as she indicated the tomatoes. The argument if the tomato was a fruit or vegetable was not new to me so I thought that I would practice some Spanish and present the opposing view. A comical discussion ensued that my help won only after she took a knife and cut the ‘tomato’ in half. Huh?! It was not a tomato! It was, indeed, my very first funny fruit encounter.

It is called a ‘Kaqui’. It, obviously, looks like a tomato. The taste is sweet with an extremely subtle hint of a cinnamon flavor. It is juicy yet firm. The flat pale seeds are edible while the tough skin is not. We are in kaqui season now. It is fun to eat it and remember my first market shopping experience about six years ago now. Oh, in English kaqui is translated persimmon.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

so interesting that it has a hint of cinnamon flavor. i might like it.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha - when i saw the picture I was like hmmm that looks like a persimmon! Then when I saw it was a kaqui I was like..oh maybe not ;)

They are so yummy when you pick out a good one!

:)
Katrina

Angie Washington said...

Katrina - You got it! :-)

Anonymous said...

I liked this post.

I could imagine (relate) to the stroller manuvering!

Annie said...

Ah yes. I have tasted persimmon. I didn't catch the cinnamon flavor - but then it probably wasn't as fresh either. It was a very pale sweet - like sugar water, only a fruit.

Great story!

Anonymous said...

Love this! I was thinking it looked familiar and then you mentioned the translation - persimmon :) I've tried it back home in NZ and it's really nice, a really unique and sweet taste :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like that shopping trip took guts.

Angie Washington said...

Alece - taking mental note: Like cinnamon. Good to know. :-)

Angie Washington said...

Annie - these are a strong sweet. My kids did not agree with me about the cinnamon thing. They just said it was a sweet and very sweet flavor.

Angie Washington said...

Birgit - Thanks for your comment. And yes, unique is a good word for it. :-)

Angie Washington said...

Natalie - Any shopping trip is an emotional adventure for me, this one was especially challenging. But it turned out to be fun because of the people. People always make shopping better for me.

mandy said...

kaqui - like khaki?

Angie Washington said...

Mandy you are so on the ball. I completely forgot the pronunciation (whatever was I thinking?)!

Actually it is not like khaki. It is pronounced: cocky.

Thanks for asking. :-)

mom2twoboys said...

This looks so much like tomato that one of the Chinese words for tomato is (literally translated) "western persimmon."

Angie Washington said...

mom2twoboys - that is so interesting. Are you learning to speak the Chinese language?

Angie Washington said...

mom2twoboys - I just went to try to visit your site. Is there a way that I can be invited to read?

I am so glad that you stopped in here and left a comment too.